Friday, August 3, 2012

London Olympics Opening Ceremonies Party

We've been super excited for the Summer Olympics in London this year so we decided to have an Opening Ceremonies viewing party with a few of our friends.

Our fun little dessert table display most of the printables and the inspiration came from one Bird's Party. The cheesecake was a Cheesecake Factory red velvet copycat recipe and turned out to be awesomely moist and delicious. Next time I'm going to use the same concept and cheesecake recipe with my carrot cake recipe.
Cake pops and gold medal cookies. The gold medal cookie design was a free printable from One Charming Party. I simply took the printed page to our local Publix bakery and had them print it onto an edible cake sheet. Then I chopped them out with a 2 inch circle punch. I put them all in the freezer and pulled them out a couple at a time as I was decorating to make it easier to peel them.
I admit I may have gotten a little carried away with baking this last week.
I made the cake pops first because I think they are easiest to store and seem to remain fresh for a long time. I just used a basic cake pop recipe. They are always a hit a parties!
Olympic ring cookies: I used Wilton's largest and second largest fondant circle cutters to shape the rings. I decorated them with just white royal icing because I was too lazy to color it and then dipped them in lots of sprinkles so the white wouldn't show through.

VINTAGE flag cookies
So the story behind the vintage flag cookies: I had made these beautiful flag cookies with lots of TLC. Then I decided to store them in an air tight container in the fridge since it was a couple days before the party.

BAD idea.

It destroyed the tops of all of them...so they quickly became my vintaged cookies.
Vintage is in, right?


Cupcakes, I just baked standard size cupcakes, decorated them with butter cream frosting and topped them with printables from Bird's Party Olympic collection. I cut the cupcake wrappers out from Skip to my Lou's template.
The night I was making my cookies I snapped a quick picture with my phone before they were accidentally vintaged.

I made these flag cookies with the exact same method as the gold medal cookies described above.
Super excited for the opening ceremonies to start. Yes, I even made us all wear coordinating Olympic shirts.
If there is a cake, there is a birthday, right? Ellie made everyone sing happy birthday to her so she could blow out a few candles on the cake. She loves the attention.
More decor. Our Olympic torch now sits proudly atop the TV as we watch the games. The torch was super simple. I just rolled up a piece of 12x12 gold glitter cardstock and taped it from the inside. Then I just stuffed red and gold tissue paper inside for the flames. I couldn't figure out how to get it to stand, so it now sits in my empty pepper shaker. Sometimes I have to get pretty creative when I'm working late into the night before the party!
The ladies of the party: Izzy, me and Darlene.
The kids snuck off to the back room to bust out the extra cake pops. Ken said, "Mom, I think I ate way too many cake pops...it was AWESOME!"
Ellie partied hard until she crashed.
A picture of the ceremonies from a British paper. Click here for more images if you missed it. The opening ceremonies were amazing to say the least and so fun to watch. It's is such a powerful thing to see the whole world come together for this big event.

Want to hear the best part of the whole thing? I fell asleep in Ken's bed while I was reading him his stories so Joey carried me to bed. When I woke up in the morning the entire party was cleaned up! The dishes had been done, my decor stored away, the kids room organized (they had destroyed it the night before with their friends), the laundry done and all the furniture put back where it belongs. I have the coolest husband ever, hands down. Seriously, who does that? It's no wonder I'm so crazy about that boy.

We hope you enjoy the rest of the ceremonies!

1 comment:

  1. Such parties are really wonderful to be arranged for this kids as with themes like this you can include lots of games in the party. For my son’s birthday I arranged a party at best LA event venues, with the similar theme and that turned out to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...